Sunday 4 April 2010

Everyman sleep - one small step

To give this blog and my experiment some background let me explain what I will be attempting. This blog will be used to recount my experiences as I attempt to convert to the "everyman" sleep pattern. This method of sleep is something known as polyphasic sleep. This means that instead of 8 or 9 hours straight I will be attempting to sleep in "batches" amounting to 4.5 hours in a 24 hour period.

The idea of polyphasic sleep is well documented in animals. In fact it appears to be the method used by most animals, humans being one of the few who sleep once in a huge block.

So my "sleep cycle" will be as follows:

22:30 - 01:30

6:00 - 6:30

12:30 - 13:00

18:00 - 18:30

As you can see, the plan is built around a core of 3 hours followed by 3 half hour napping periods. The idea is that your body is trained to drop straight into the REM part of your sleep cycle...that is the deep and dream filled period. Cutting out the waste of the cycle.

At the moment I have just completed my first 3 hour core sleep (so yes its 1:30am BST) and so far I feel confident. I'm pretty sure there was some REM sleep so its all go.

I'll keep this updated as I go on.

Kel

No comments:

Post a Comment